There’s a hot, new trend that’s both confusing and annoying fashionistas across the internet today: denim underwear (a.k.a. janties). These were recently introduced by the Y/Project as something you can wear either as underwear or, if you’re adventurous enough, as part of your outfit. Y/Project’s creative director, Glenn Martens says the collection they’re a part of was inspired by simplifying construction.
Lyst and Vogue Weighs in on This new Trend
Lyst is the largest global fashion search platform. It lets you search through thousands of online stores featuring over 5 million products from over 12,000 brands all at the same time. They said that they expect these extremely high cut denim panties from Y/Project’s spring 2019 runway show to be a major hit. In fact, in one week alone they’ve already had 3.8k social media mentions and 514k in social media engagement from people throughout the world. In mid-March they also reported a 2,250% increase in page views as people searched for janties.
Vogue also asked an ob-gyn their opinion on these new panties and the effect they may have on women’s health. Their reply was that anyone who wears these janties should do so while wearing a G-string.
Other Trends to Watch For
After Festival Fashion 2019, Lyst also released a new trend report. According to this report, janties aren’t the only “shocking” clothing we’ll see this year. They’re also saying:
- Festival goers are searching for oversized “ugly” sandals. In fact, since the beginning of Maarch, there’s been an increase of 34% in the number of people who are looking for “rubber sandals.” Within the last few weeks Lyst has reported that every 7 minutes someone is searching for “Prada Velcro sandals.”
- Another accessory that many festival goers are actively searching for are futuristic, sport-inspired sunglasses. This trend started when Kim Kardashian, in collaboration with Carolina Lemke, launched her new collection of sunglasses earlier this month. The week following this there was a 650% increase in the number of people searching for race-ready sunglasses.
- Harness fashion is also growing in popularity this festival season. There are many people in search of harness chest bags. In fact, this number has increased by 257% since March and many fashionistas expect to see these stylish, functional bags everywhere soon.
- Cycling shorts are also popular around the world today. In fact, the amount of people searching for neon biker shorts has increased 190%, while rainbow biker shorts have increased 350% and romper biker shorts 300%.
- Coachella is expecting there to be many people favoring sequin outfits this year. Already, sequin bikini sets are setting records with the number of people who have been searching for them. On Lyst alone, the number of searches for sequin bikini tops has already increased by 40% since the beginning of March. Many fashionistas believe men will also be wearing sequin outfits as shimmery jackets are already trending. Within the past few weeks there’s also been a 108% increase in the number of people searching for the AOS Jacket with Cut and Sew Sequins.
Picture Credit: Pixabay